Das Exmo-Diskussionsforum

Beitrag 3 von 4 Beiträgen.
Seite erstellt am 20.4.24 um 12:24 Uhr
zur Nachrichtenliste
der Beitrag:
Verfasser: Gunar
Datum: Freitag, den 10. Oktober 2003, um 22:05 Uhr
Betrifft: nichts Böses sehen, nichts Böses hören, aber nicht nichts Böses besitzen

Holly Mullen hat in der gestrigen Salt Lake Tribune ein paar interessante Anmerkungen dazu gemacht. Sie stellte zur gesamten Kirchen-Moral, insbesondere aber zur Ansprache von Russell Ballard die Frage: "Nichts Böses sehen, nichts Böses hören, aber nicht nichts Böses besitzen?" Sie spricht dabei den Missstand an, dass die HLT-Kirche Unmoral in den Medien anprangert, zugleich aber ganz gute Profite durch eben solche Unternehmungen einfährt - und damit kein ethisches Problem hat. Sie greift dabei auf das Beispiel des kircheneigenen Senders KSL zurück, dessen Programm die Mitglieder lt. Ballards Ermahnungen über weite Strecken gar nicht ansehen dürften. Wenn man also mit Unmoral Kohle scheffelt, ist das nach HLT-Ethik moralisch vertretbar. Und der Kirchensprecher Dale Bills sagte ihr ganz offen, dass keine einzige Kirchenautorität das Thema Medienbesitz adressieren würde. Und diese Frage bleibt für sie offen: "Warum würde die Kirche einen guten Gewinn aus einem Medium einstreichen, das Inhalte ausstrahlt, von denen sie ihre Mitglieder abrät zu sehen?"

Quelle: Salt Lake Tribune

See no evil, hear no evil, but not own no evil?
Holly Mullen
The Salt Lake Tribune

Scanning tonight’s prime-time lineup on NBC makes it tough to argue with the counsel imparted last weekend by Elder M. Russell Ballard at the LDS Church’s fall general conference. To paraphrase: Just don’t watch it.
    First, we have "Friends," which I have only seen in late-night syndication. I know little of its current week-to-week plots, except that the show does feature a baby born to Ross and Rachel without benefit of marriage.
    Then we have "Will and Grace," a little romp through the minefields of gay relationships with a few ha-ha moments of substance abuse thrown in for good measure.
    And finally, we top off the night with "ER," which I watched faithfully for five seasons, while George Clooney ruled. But I have since drifted as the volume of squirting blood and splattering viscera increased in the OR, and as the same old handful of docs and nurses kept trying one another out in bed.
    No need to stop the presses with this pronouncement: Commercial television can be one big cultural and moral dung heap. Most thinking people, regardless of their religious background, can agree with Ballard’s advice: "Our biggest challenge is to choose wisely what we listen to and what we watch." In the same Saturday morning address, he noted: "The most basic way to protest negative-impact media is simply not to watch it, see it, read it or play it."
    To which Ballard noticeably did not add "or own it," but that would present quite a sticky scenario. As is well-known, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints owns KSL Channel 5, Salt Lake City’s NBC affiliate. Ballard was followed the next day by church President Gordon B. Hinckley, who congratulated KSL for last month dumping the new sitcom "Coupling," which centers on six young, eye-candy adults sitting in a bar and discussing sex.
    Salt Lake Tribune TV columnist Vince Horiuchi called the series "self-absorbed and boorish," but somehow I can’t help thinking the show’s catchy title fairly screamed "pull us off the air" to KSL. Far better to have a nice, safe title for equally provocative stuff. Hey, how about something like "Friends"?
    Any night of the week, NBC offers the fare that LDS leaders castigated last weekend: partial nudity, sexual innuendo, sex outside marriage, gay unions and a heaping helping of gore in police dramas and reality shows.
    It is the right and duty of church authorities to guide their members toward uplifting behavior. But it seems to beg the question: If network TV is such a tool of evil, why does the church own a local station?
    Why not just get out of the television business altogether?
    I sought an answer through the church media-relations office, where spokesman Dale Bills candidly told me no church authority would address the topic of media ownership.
    Instead, he sent me to Bruce Christensen, president of KSL Channel 5. A straight-up guy, Christensen told me he felt LDS leaders’ advice was "right on point." Fine. But he does not make policy decisions.
    "Church members," he said, "can always exercise the ultimate option. Just turn it off."
    Besides, in a church that "deals with [free] agency as a fundamental tenet, it is difficult to do more than to suggest pushing the ’off’ button."
    Which still does not answer the question: Why would the church keep taking a nice profit from owning a medium that every season churns out content it asks its members not to watch?
    For one thing, the news, says Christensen. "Owning KSL allows us to produce the No. 1 TV news in the market."
    Which still does not answer the question.

zur Nachrichtenliste
auf diesen Beitrag antworten:

nicht möglich, da das maximale Themenalter erreicht wurde.

zur Nachrichtenliste
das Themengebiet: zur Nachrichtenliste
die neuesten Beiträge außerhalb dieses Themengebietes: zur Nachrichtenliste
zurück
www.mormonentum.de