Beitrag 8 von 8
zum Thema Wartosch-Kürten
Seite erstellt am 26.4.24 um 1:34 Uhr
zur Nachrichtenliste
der Beitrag:
Verfasser: James
Datum: Mittwoch, den 20. Februar 2002, um 6:24 Uhr
Betrifft: Mormonen haben Hörner?

Wir erinnern uns an die HLT-Eishockeyfrauen. Interessanter Artikel dazu. Ein bißchen Biographie. Interessant (?), oder eher bekloppt, der Kommentar von Sabine Rückauer, wie die Deutschen angeblich Mormonen sehen:

"Die Leute in Deutschland sind immer traurig zu erfahren, daß Mormonen keine Hörner haben und ihre Toten nicht zum Tempel tragen und sie dort taufen. ... Sie sind enttäuscht wenn sie erfahren, daß wir keine Polygamisten sind."

Dann müssen "Deutsche" in Nordrhein-Westfalen irgendwie anders sein wie die hier in Bayern.

Text:

"LDS hockey players at home in Salt Lake. The Daily Herald on Friday, February 15
PROVO -- By the time LDS missionaries knocked on the door of the Kuerten home in Neuss, Germany, the family’s three young girls had already been playing hockey for years.

Peter and Petra Kuerten love hockey, and Peter, blessed with daughters instead of sons, pushed Stephanie, Sabine and Sandra hard.

"When we wanted to go swimming, he said, ’No, go take shots against the wall,’ " Stephanie says.

The girls rebelled at times, but Stephanie and Sabine (pronounced Sa-BEAN-a) have become two of the best players in Germany. Sabine, 24, who returned to the team in the fall after giving birth to her second child, is one of the top defensemen on the Olympic team. Stephanie, 23, is the starting goalie.

"There was a time I hated it," Sabine says of the daily, three-hour practices after school. "Now I’m very happy about it. I wouldn’t be on this team if he didn’t make us do that. I’m very lazy by nature, so I think he did the right thing."

The sisters played major roles Thursday as Germany pushed Finland before losing 3-1 at The Peaks. Sabine assisted on the team’s only goal and Stephanie made 36 saves.

The family joined the LDS Church in 1992. Sabine had been with the national team for two years, since she was 13; Stephanie joined her in 1993. Sandra, 22, also has played with the national team.

Hockey, however, takes a back seat to Sabine’s family. She is married to Jochen Rueckauer, and they have two daughters, Emmelie, who is 21 months old, and Joeleen, who was born Aug. 15.

"One month later, Sabine was playing," says Jochen, who served an LDS mission in Birmingham, England. "She’s incredible. She really is."

Sabine feels the same way about her girls: "They are wonderful, the best kids in the whole world. They’re watching the games on TV back in Germany with my mom and dad. My family is the most important thing in my life."

Sabine actually quit the national team a couple of years ago because she didn’t want to play on Sundays. While she continued to play for her father’s team, which plays most of its games on Saturdays, national team coach Rainer Nittel was flabbergasted.

"She was the best defenseman in the country until 1999," Nittel says. "Now she has two babies. She came to our Olympic qualifying tournament and did a decent job and made the team. That shows how skilled she is."

There are 36,303 members of the LDS church in Germany, and only 2,500 German women and girls play hockey. (More than 40,000 American women and girls play hockey.) That puts the Keurten sisters in two minorities Germans mostly ignore. Sabine relished the opportunity to share information about both Tuesday with German journalists after the team lost 10-0 to the U.S. women at the "E" Center.

"People in Germany are always sad to learn Mormons don’t have horns and don’t carry our dead into the temple and baptize them," she told one writer. "They are disappointed to learn we aren’t polygamists."

LDS theology holds that baptism by full immersion is necessary to enter heaven. Stand-ins are baptized for deceased people, who may choose to accept or reject the ordinance in the spirit world.

The writer asked if it was hard to follow the church’s strict rules.

"It is strict, but it’s a good way of life," Sabine said. "Really, ’strict’ isn’t the right word. Stephanie doesn’t follow the rules strictly but she can still come to church if she wants and she is welcomed the same way I am."

Jochen and Sabine have been to Utah before, but are happy to be back.

"It’s neat," Sabine says. "Americans are always nice and friendly, and to be here where there are so any Mormons is special. We feel a lot of support."

Stephanie, who is married to Marco Wartosch, has struggled on the ice here because most of her teammates have been overmatched by the skills of the Americans and the Finns, leaving her to face an unrealistic number of shots. At times, she looks like someone trying to keep an empty swimming pool dry during a rainstorm.

She surrendered six goals in two periods to the Americans, but sprawled all over the ice to make 26 saves. Most of the goals came on U.S. breakaways or after Stephanie had made one or two saves but got no help clearing the rebounds.

"It’s tough for a goalie if she has to look for the first, second and third rebound," Nittel said. "We are leaving too many loose pucks in front of the net."

Nittle hopes the team can match its fifth-place finish in the 2001 world championships. To do it, Germany needs a victory over China, a win in the fifth-place game and major contributions from Peter and Petra Kuerten’s daughters.

Quelle:

http://www.harktheherald.com/article.php?sid=39587

zur Nachrichtenliste
auf diesen Beitrag antworten:

nicht möglich, da es sich um einen Legacy-Beitrag handelt

zur Nachrichtenliste
das Themengebiet: zur Nachrichtenliste
die neuesten Beiträge in diesem Themengebiet: zur Nachrichtenliste
die neuesten Beiträge außerhalb dieses Themengebietes: zur Nachrichtenliste
zurück
www.mormonentum.de