Seite erstellt am 16.4.24 um 19:24 Uhr
zur Nachrichtenliste
der Beitrag:
Verfasser: Sappho
Datum: Montag, den 13. Juni 2011, um 17:36 Uhr
Betrifft: Eine BYU Frau comes out

http://affirmation.org/affinity/2011_06.shtml#8

Former BYU Athlete Comes Out, Tells Story

Burningham: “I saw how living a lie was destroying their lives, their marriages, their children’s lives, and it started to scare me”

by Hugo Salinas

Mari Burningham, a Mormon athlete and coach who is well known for her skills on the basketball and volleyball courts, recently came out in a story posted on OutSports.com.
At BYU, Burningham met athletes who were also closeted. “I saw how living a lie was destroying their lives, their marriages, their children’s lives and it started to scare me,” Burningham writes. “I saw those who were doomed to remain single and alone instead of finding love and happiness because their love and happiness would go against the church teachings. I saw how the closeted amongst us could be the hardest on homosexuals and that was an evil that affected me to the core.”
Eventually, Burningham left BYU and divorced her husband. “I no longer wanted to live by the BYU Honor Code and work among the hypocrites who would condemn me or be married to a man who thought we were ‘happy enough’ and that I could be fixed like I was broken,” she write. “I couldn’t be in Utah where our church leaders had already said that it is better to be dead than gay and called homosexuals an abomination.”
“I like to think that I’m a good person who does good things and that is what defines me, not my sexual orientation and who I love or how I love,” Burningham wrote. “In what is still one of the most fiercely closeted professions, I hope I’ll always be measured on my coaching ability and the way in which I treat those around me.”

Es ist war, dieser Glaube zerstört.

zur Nachrichtenliste
auf diesen Beitrag antworten:

nicht möglich, da das maximale Themenalter erreicht wurde.

zur Nachrichtenliste
das Themengebiet: zur Nachrichtenliste
die neuesten Beiträge in diesem Themengebiet: zur Nachrichtenliste
die neuesten Beiträge außerhalb dieses Themengebietes: zur Nachrichtenliste
zurück
www.mormonentum.de