Das Exmo-Diskussionsforum

Keine Antworten auf diesen Beitrag.
Seite erstellt am 28.3.24 um 16:01 Uhr
zur Nachrichtenliste
der Beitrag:
Verfasser: Sappho
Datum: Freitag, den 7. August 2009, um 21:04 Uhr
Betrifft: Einige Zitate

Die folgenden Zitate möchte ich als Anregung verstanden wissen, über verschiedene Themen nachzudenken:

"’I think no more of taking a wife than I do of buying a cow,’ was one of Heber Kimball’s delicate remarks. made from the stand in the Tabernacle to a congregation of several thousand. Most of his hearers thought even less of it, for they would have had to pay money for the cow; and as for the other, he had only to throw his handkerchief to some girl, and she would pick it up and follow him.- Ann-Eliza Snow, Wife No. 19, Chapter 17, "Taking a Wife and Buying a Cow," online at
http://www.polygamyinfo.com/wife19_book_ch17.htm

"In their eagerness to coexist with the [Nazi] government, American officials of the German Church resorted to public relation efforts . . . Probably the clearest example of this tendency is an article by West German Mission President Alfred C. Rees entitled ’In the Land of the Mormons.’ The article appeared in a special issue of the Nazi Party organ Der Volkische Beobachter dated April 14 1937. In the Editor’s Preface to the article, President Rees is called ’the representative of the Church in Germany,’ who ’paints for our readers a portrait of Mormonism today, a church which views the New Germany with sympathy and friendship.’ Whether President Rees originally wrote the article in German or not, the language of the piece abounds in such loaded terms as Volk and Rasse (race), and a picture of Brigham Young bears the caption, ’Fuhrer der historischen Mormonenpioniere.’ But the significance of these linguistic gaffes is magnified by hindsight. More disturbing is the way President Rees blatantly parallels Mormonism with Nazism. As Rees warms to his topic, Mormonism begins to sound like a fulfillment of Nazi teachings, providing ’the practical realization of the German ideal: "the common good takes precedence over the individual good."’ Rees concluded by assuring his readers that ’Mormons are people who put this healthy doctrine into action.’ Reading articles such as this, it would have been easy for a German Saint to mistakenly conclude that the seal of official Church approval had been placed on the Nazi regime."
- Alan F. Keele and Douglas F. Tobler, “The Fuhrer’s New Clothes: Helmuth Huebner and the Mormons in the Third
Reich,” Sunstone, v. 5, no. 6, pp. 20-29
http://www.ils.unc.edu/~unsworth/mormon/nazi.html

“[Joseph said] ‘God does not care if we have a good time, if only other people do not know it’…. If any woman, like me, opposed his wishes, he used to say: ‘Be silent, or I shall ruin your character.’”
- Sarah Pratt, in Wyl, Mormon Portraits, p. 62
http://www.ils.unc.edu/~unsworth/mormon/jscharacter.html

“When Elder Packer interviewed me as a prospective member of Brigham Young University’s faculty in 1976, he explained: ‘I have a hard time with historians because they idolize the truth. The truth is not uplifting; it destroys. I could tell most of the secretaries in the church office building because that they are ugly and fat. That would be the truth, but it would hurt and destroy them. Historians should tell only that part of the truth that is inspiring and uplifting.’”
- D. Michael Quinn, “On Being a Mormon Historian (and Its Aftermath),” in George D. Smith, ed., Faithful History: Essays on Writing Mormon History,
1992, p. 76
http://www.ils.unc.edu/~unsworth/mormon/churchhistory.html

Vier Zitate zu vier verschiedenen Themen, die da sind:

FRAUEN IN DER LDS

MORMONEN UND NAZIDEUTSCHLAND

DER CHARAKTER EINES "PROPHETEN"

UMGANG MIT DER WAHRHEIT

Ob uns dazu etwas einfällt?

zur Nachrichtenliste
auf diesen Beitrag antworten:

nicht möglich, da das maximale Themenalter erreicht wurde.

zur Nachrichtenliste
das Themengebiet: zur Nachrichtenliste
die neuesten Beiträge außerhalb dieses Themengebietes: zur Nachrichtenliste
zurück
www.mormonentum.de