Beitrag 1 von 2
zum Thema Dem Beispiel der Kirche in Bezug auf sensible Informationen folgen
Seite erstellt am 25.4.24 um 5:38 Uhr
zur Nachrichtenliste
der Beitrag:
Verfasser: Gunar
Datum: Samstag, den 3. November 2001, um 22:02 Uhr
Betrifft: Dem Beispiel der Kirche in Bezug auf sensible Informationen folgen

Die HLT-Kirche hat ihre ganz eigene Art, mit Informationen umzugehen. Doch jetzt kommt der Vorschlag, diesem Beispiel zu folgen ... und zwar von niemand anderem als dem unverwechselbaren Kirby:

Salt Lake Tribune
Saturday, November 3, 2001

KIRBY: Follow Church’s Example on Sensitive Stuff

BY ROBERT KIRBY

Two months ago, I donated my great-grandfather’s missionary journal to Brigham Young University. Grandpa Felt served in the Southern State Mission, 1901-1903.

I handed it over with the full realization that it might disappear into the archives of the LDS Church, never again to see the light of day.

Before giving it up, I read through it to see if Grandpa Felt chronicled anything really surprising. The only thing I found was a migraine. A gripping read it is not. The journal may contain some information so sensitive that the church would not want to make it available to researchers, but I doubt it. A sample entry explains.

"Columbia [South Carolina], March 24/1902, little of interest hapened [sic] today."

So, unless it was written in a secret code documenting polygamy and blood sacrifices, there isn’t much in Grandpa’s journal worth the bother of making it disappear.

The same cannot be said of my own missionary journal. If it ever fell into church hands, they would probably archive it in a large box labeled, "Burn immediately."

"Friday, Jan. 10, 1975, Got dysentery so bad that it borders on a spiritual experience."

Fortunately, the church has more important historical documents to worry about. The church is suing Utah State University for some papers donated to the school by former church historian Leonard Arrington. As I understand the situation -- which is not to say that I really do -- the school wants to control the material so that it’s available to historians, some of whom may not have the church’s best interests in mind.

Meanwhile, the church believes that the material belongs to it. The church has no comment regarding the possibility of forbidding access, once it has the material back, even though the church actually does this sort of thing a lot.

The action has some people wondering what the church is up to. What little I have overheard in the debate goes something like this:

HISTORIANS: "What are you trying to hide?"

CHURCH: "None of thy beeswax."

It wasn’t always like this. Years ago, the church allowed access to just about everything in its archives, including possibly some highly unflattering doodles Brigham Young once drew of U.S. President Buchanan. However, concern eventually arose that such true but questionable historical information played hob with people’s testimonies, particularly among impressionable young people and my mother-in-law.

Mormons aren’t the only ones with this worry. If you noticed the words "Made in China" embroidered on the Shroud of Turin, you might be more than a little inclined to say, respectfully of course, "Hey, wait just a damn minute." I am not suggesting that the LDS Church has the real Shroud of Turin, although I personally suspect that they have a high-quality photocopy of it sitting next to the actual hammer Noah used to build the Ark.

There is no telling what the church has in its archive. The point is that some information is so sensitive you have to be careful who you allow to see it, specifically nobody. Any married guy could tell you this.

That is why I plan to follow the church’s example in this matter the next time I get yanked into the bishop’s office.

HIM: "Brother Kirby, are you honest in your dealing with your fellow man?"

ME: "I’m sorry, that information is in my special collections. Access to it is strictly forbidden."

HIM: "What?"

ME: "Look, if I give you this information, it may forever change your opinion of me. I only have your best interests in mind."
_________

Salt Lake Tribune columnist Robert Kirby lives in Springville. He welcomes mail at P.O. Box 684 Springville, UT, 84663, or e-mail at kirby@sltrib.com

http://www.sltrib.com/11032001/saturday/145590.htm

Manchmal fragt man sich wirklich, wie er es schafft, nicht aus dieser Organisation rauszufliegen.;-)

zur Nachrichtenliste
auf diesen Beitrag antworten:

nicht möglich, da es sich um einen Legacy-Beitrag handelt

zur Nachrichtenliste
das Themengebiet: zur Nachrichtenliste
die neuesten Beiträge außerhalb dieses Themengebietes: zur Nachrichtenliste
zurück
www.mormonentum.de