Das Exmo-Diskussionsforum

Beitrag 1 von 1
zum Thema omar, for your information, nur eins von vielen Beispielen...
Seite erstellt am 28.3.24 um 21:45 Uhr
zur Nachrichtenliste
der Beitrag:
Verfasser: vedma
Datum: Dienstag, den 2. Oktober 2001, um 14:16 Uhr
Betrifft: omar, for your information, nur eins von vielen Beispielen...

Omar, du brauchst nicht den bösen Exmos zu glauben, glaub doch einfach deinen Glaubensgenossen von lds. org. Falls es dir nicht bekannt sein sollte, das ist die offizielle Webseite deiner "Kirche". Dort findest du unter:

http://library.lds.org/Library/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&2.0

in einem Artikel über Edward Partridge folgendes zu seinen beiden jugendlichen Töchtern:

William Law cared for the family until their Nauvoo house was finished. And in August 1840 Lydia remarried, to William Huntington, a widower whose wife had died the previous year. Emma Smith needed help with her newborn son, and hired first sixteen-year-old Emily, then twenty-year-old Eliza too.

Although little Don Carlos Smith died a short time later, Emily and Eliza continued to live in the Smith home, where, in the summer of 1842, both girls “were married to Bro. Joseph about the same time, but neither of us knew about the other at the time; everything was so secret” (Emily, “Incidents,” p. 186). Eliza later reflected:

“A woman living in polygamy dare not let it be known and nothing but a firm desire to keep the commandments of the Lord could have induced a girl to marry in that way. I thought my trials were very severe in the line and I am often led to wonder how it was that a person of my temperament could get along with it and not rebel; but I know it was the Lord who kept me from opposing his plans although in my heart I felt that I could not submit to them. But I did and I am thankful to my Heavenly Father for the care he had over me in those troublous times.” (“Autobiography and Diary,” pp. 13-14.)

The sudden and violent death of Joseph Smith in June 1844 was particularly wrenching to his plural wives, since they were forced to bear their grief in silence. Emily attended the viewing when the bodies of Joseph and Hyrum were returned to Nauvoo from Carthage. “I went with the rest, as a stranger, none suspecting the extra sorrow that was in my heart” (Emily, “Autobiography and Diary,” p. 3).

While living in Nauvoo, Emily, now married to Brigham Young, gave birth to one of the first children of a plural marriage in October 1845. At first she kept the child in hiding. After starting the journey west, however, her status as a plural wife became common knowledge. But with knowledge came prejudice. Some thought that “the Lord had given men plural wives for stepping stones for them and their first wives to mount to glory on.” At Winter Quarters, curious people would stop at Emily’s to see a “spiritual” child. One woman was astonished that the baby seemed intelligent. “There was a good deal of that spirit at that time,” confesses Emily, “and sometimes it was very oppressive.” (“Autobiography and Diary,” pp. 3-4, 19.)

The universal trials of pioneer life—illness, hard work, poverty, and death—exacted a heavy price from the Partridges. Emily was among the first to leave in February 1846. She later remembered the heavy snowstorm of the nineteenth and how cold she was as she sat on a log, hungry and dejected, with her infant clasped in her arms. Separated from family and friends, she had wandered from one fire to another, “some giving me food, others a place in their tent to sleep.” She noted that her husband “President Young had to look after the welfare of the whole people,” and therefore “had not much time to devote to his family.” (“Autobiography and Diary,” p. 3.)

Lydia and her second husband, William Huntington, took Edward, Jr., and two of the daughters, Emily and young Lydia, to Mount Pisgah, where William was called to preside over the settlement. Then he suddenly died, leaving his new family more or less on their own through the winter of 1846-47.

Eliza and Caroline, now plural wives of apostle Amasa Lyman, were also among the first to leave Nauvoo, crossing the Mississippi River amidst ice “in large pieces” that “threatened to sink our boat” (Eliza, “Autobiography and Diary,” p. 14).

Eliza arrived at the Missouri River on July 1, and two weeks later her first child ...

zur Nachrichtenliste
auf diesen Beitrag antworten:

nicht möglich, da es sich um einen Legacy-Beitrag handelt

zur Nachrichtenliste
das Themengebiet: zur Nachrichtenliste
die neuesten Beiträge außerhalb dieses Themengebietes: zur Nachrichtenliste
zurück
www.mormonentum.de