Das Exmo-Diskussionsforum

Beitrag 2 von 2
zum Thema Erklärung
Seite erstellt am 25.4.24 um 21:59 Uhr
zur Nachrichtenliste
der Beitrag:
Verfasser: vedma
Datum: Dienstag, den 24. April 2001, um 12:37 Uhr
Betrifft: pass bloß mit dem M-Wort auf!;-)

zu deinen, wie immer herrlich zutreffenden Ausführungen passt, was Kirby heute schrieb:

http://www.sltrib.com/04242001/utah/91583.htm

KIRBY: Name Callers: Be Careful of The ’M’ Word
Tuesday, April 24, 2001

BY ROBERT KIRBY
THE SALT LAKE TRIBUNE

The three most controversial words in America today are being used a lot. For the record, they are:
    1. The "N" word, a pejorative reference to African-Americans.
    2. The "B" word, an epithet used mainly about women, although sometimes in derogatory reference to men.
    3. An "F" word. Not the F word, mind you, but rather the one sometimes applied to homosexuals.
    Because I wanted to write a column on these three words, I asked my immediate boss, Tribune features editor Tim Fitzpatrick, if I could write them.
    There followed the violent hollering of many words I cannot use here. I argued for complete freedom of speech. Tim constantly referenced the possibility of me working at a convenience store. He won.
    That’s OK, because I really didn’t want to use the words anyway. Not only are they potentially injurious, their use would serve no purpose toward making me rich.
    N, B and F are money words in America. I watched an MTV program over the weekend, listening to such sterling intellects as Eminem, Ice T and possibly even Sneak Rat Lips argue for the right to use them.
    According to rapper Eminem, it’s OK for him to chant about the need to beat up B’s and F’s because, well, he doesn’t really mean anything by it.
    African-American rappers claimed thatwas contextual. It was all in how and whom they used the wordon. It was entirely proper for them to refer to each other as N’s, and perfectly within their right to clock me if I tried it.
    Meanwhile, female artists debated whether being referred to as a B "downed" a woman, or was actually a term of respect and endearment for a tough woman.
    It was money over morality. Only the homosexuals on the show made any sense. They don’t like being called F’s, and would everyone please stop doing it.
    Calling people names is risky business. Lately, I’ve been getting mail from people wanting to know if it is OK for them to call me a Mormon. After all, the completely proper term is "member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."
    This is not very handy. It’s a pain to have to say, "Being completely surrounded by members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is driving me nuts."
    I think it’s OK to use the M word in casual reference. Keep in mind, however, that we’re still talking context. I would be deeply offended if this word showed up in a song by Eminem:
    "That’s why there ain’t no harm in,
    Driving around shooting at Mormons."
    Then, there is how you say it. "You can’t come in because you’re a Mormon," sounds much better than, "You can’t come in because you’re such a Mormon."
    Finally, we come to the completely risky term of "Mo." I would stay away from this one unless you happen to be a Mormon, or don’t care what Mormons think, or possibly want to include it in a rap song called "Yo, Mo."
    When it comes to name calling, it seems there is no right or wrong. The big question is whether there is more money in being offended or being offensive.

zur Nachrichtenliste
auf diesen Beitrag antworten:

nicht möglich, da es sich um einen Legacy-Beitrag handelt

zur Nachrichtenliste
das Themengebiet: zur Nachrichtenliste
die neuesten Beiträge außerhalb dieses Themengebietes: zur Nachrichtenliste
zurück
www.mormonentum.de