Das Exmo-Diskussionsforum

Beitrag 55 von 59 Beiträgen.
Seite erstellt am 25.4.24 um 3:01 Uhr
zur Nachrichtenliste
der Beitrag:
Verfasser: SvenB
Datum: Mittwoch, den 15. Februar 2006, um 23:30 Uhr
Betrifft: Rezension

PS: Ich habe das Buch vor zwei Jahren gelesen und fand es sehr beeindruckend, dazu eine interessante Amazon-Rezension:

5 von 5 Sternen An excellent book, 5. März 1999
      Rezensentin/Rezensent: Duwayne Anderson (Mehr über mich) aus St. Helens, Oregon
It is hard to find a book about early Mormonism that does not focus almost exclusively on Joseph Smith. As founder of the Mormon religion, this may not seem surprising, but it’s refreshing just the same to read Todd Compton’s book with its almost exclusive focus on Joseph’s wives, and comparatively little focus on the Mormon prophet.

Compton’s book consists of 30 chapters; each written as a biography of the various women Joseph Smith married, with the conspicuous absence of Emma Smith. This highlights and emphasizes the fact that, though Joseph had many wives, they were all rejected by Emma who vigorously opposed polygamy and the intrusions it brought into her home.

Studying Mormon history has become a mixed blessing. On one hand, historical scholarship of the subject has advanced greatly since Bodie’s landmark "No man knows my History." On the other hand, excommunication of prominent historians (such as Quinn and Brodie) by the Mormon Church has resulted in much fear and distrust. For most Mormons, Todd Compton’s book probably falls outside the designation of "faith promoting," and may be uncomfortable for many active members of the church.

Growing up in the Mormon Church, I learned several myths about early Mormon polygamy such as: 1. A man’s wife had to approve the marriage to plural wives. 2. Most plural wives were older women whose husbands had died, and for whom polygamy represented safe heaven from a brutal world. 3. Most of Joseph’s plural wives were sealed to him, but had no sexual relationship with him. 4. Joseph’s plural wives never became pregnant from him. 5. There was never any admission or even mention of polyandry.

Through the biographies he has constructed, Compton exposes each of these myths. Chapter 1 discusses Fanny Alger, who married Joseph when she was only sixteen and he was twenty-seven. Emma didn’t know about the marriage, and when she learned of it (by seeing Fanny and Joseph together, by one account, and noticing Fanny’s pregnancy by another account - see pages 34-35) drove Fanny from their house. Oliver Cowdery (one of the Book-of-Mormon witnesses) described Joseph’s relationship with Fanny as a sexual affair, and accused Joseph of adultery - resulting in Oliver’s excommunication in 1838 (see pages 38-39).

Compton spends considerable effort reconciling Cowdery’s description of Fanny Alger as an affair, and others who clearly describe a marriage relationship (though without the approval or knowledge of Emma). As I read the book I kept expecting Compton to draw the obvious conclusion, that Joseph had an affair with Fanny and then invented polygamy (which he may have been contemplating anyway) to save his presidency and justify his actions. Compton, however, never draws this conclusion, and ends still contemplating the two possible scenarios as mutually exclusive.

I found particular interest in this book because one of Joseph Smith’s plural wives, Melissa Lott, was my great, great, great grandmother (see chapter 28). Like many of his other plural wives, Melissa was young (only 19) when she married Joseph Smith. Growing up Mormon, my parents taught me that Melissa had been a "spiritual" wife of Joseph Smith, having been sealed to Joseph only after his death (a common occurrence). During an interview with Joseph Smith’s son, and President of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, however, Melissa stated that she had been a wife indeed, with full benefit of a sexual relationship with the prophet. Melissa married Joseph less than a year before he was murdered and later married my great, great, great grandfather. Both lived hard lives, and her second husband died (along with their young son) when the wagon he was driving turned over with its load of firewood and drowned them in a creek. It was a touching chapter for me, the more so because Melissa is my ancestor, and illustrates the central theme of all Joseph’s plural wives: sacred loneliness and lives of hard work and toil.

Passionately written through the eyes of those who knew him, loved him, followed him, and counted on him for salvation, Compton’s book is a must for anyone interested in Mormon history and the personal lives that launched this twentieth-century American religion. Meticulously researched and well written, I highly recommend it.

Duwayne Anderson

zur Nachrichtenliste
auf diesen Beitrag antworten:

nicht möglich, da das maximale Themenalter erreicht wurde.

zur Nachrichtenliste
das Themengebiet: zur Nachrichtenliste
die neuesten Beiträge in diesem Themengebiet: zur Nachrichtenliste
die neuesten Beiträge außerhalb dieses Themengebietes: zur Nachrichtenliste
zurück
www.mormonentum.de