Das Exmo-Diskussionsforum

Letzter Beitrag von 19 Beiträgen.
Seite erstellt am 28.3.24 um 22:17 Uhr
zur Nachrichtenliste
der Beitrag:
Verfasser: shana
Datum: Freitag, den 11. März 2005, um 11:19 Uhr
Betrifft: Natalie R. Collins und die Utah-Mormonen

>Ich verstehe nicht, wie du das aus meinen Worten herauslesen konntest?

Das kann schon mal passieren bei schriftlichen Unterhaltungen, dass man fälschlicherweise was in die Aussagen anderer ’reininterpretiert’, was diejenigen auch nicht mal ansatzweise gedacht haben, sorry dafür, aber jetzt ist Dein Standpunkt dazu ja klarer, dank Deiner ausführlichen Antwort!

Wem "Ich-erzähle-jetzt-mal-meine-Geschichte-Bücher" a là Carol Lynn Pearson, Deborah Laake, Martha Beck (letztere wie ja schon diskutiert besonders kritisch zu betrachten) und wie sie alle heissen nicht so liegen, was ich nachvollziehen kann, der kann es ja mal mit ’Wives and Sisters’ von Natalie R. Collins probieren.

Collins hat das gemacht, was Beck zuerst auch vorhatte und zwar die ganze Thematik ’fundamentalistische Religion und ihre unangenehmen Folgen am Beispiel der HLT-Kirche’ in einen Roman gepackt, einen ziemlich spannenden noch dazu, fand ich jedenfalls. Ist leider soweit ich weiss noch nicht übersetzt worden und wohl mehr eine Frauengeschichte. Leicht und einfach geschrieben, kurze Sätze, kurze Kapitel, Collins war früher u. a. mal Reporterin (bei der Salt Lake Tribune), was man ihrem Schreibstil anmerkt.
Richard Packham, den einige vielleicht von exmormon.org/recovery from mormonism kennen, hat zu diesem Buch auf amazon.com eine sehr treffende Buchrezension geschrieben.

Auf dem Blog von Natalie R. Collins mit dem schönen Titel "Trapped by the Mormons - Living Life Behind the Zion Curtain" fand ich übrigens was über Utah Mormonen, nur weil kürzlich hier einer zu Gast war..... und zwar unter der Frage eines Lesers:

"Should a Non-Mormon Move to Utah?"

Hier ein Ausschnitt aus ihrer längeren Antwort:
<< ..........
But back to the question at hand. Would you feel left out, and your children be left out, as a non-Mormon in Utah? Of course.

They put fliers on every door announcing church meetings and ward functions. They don’t stop to ask who is Mormon, and who is not. They just figure everybody is Mormon, or wants to be Mormon, or, for hell’s sake, SHOULD be Mormon! After all, it’s God’s true church!

Even out-of-state Mormons are disparaging of Utah Mormons. One of my harshest critics practically beat me up the side of the head because I didn’t seem to realize there is a real difference between Utah Mormons and other Mormons. Do the Utah Mormons know the other Mormons think they are big losers? And if so, would this set off some big divide where the church had to split, or Gordon would have to tell all the kids in the sandbox to play nice?

But despite the differences between the OMs(Out-of-State-Mormons, or perhaps even just Other Mormons) and UMs (Utah Mormons), they still band together when it comes to non-Mormons--whom they regard in a gentle, kindly, slightly condescending light, because these people are not going to the Celestial Kingdom. They also stick together against the ex-Mormons, who are generally reviled because they couldn’t live the commandments, and got offended by somebody, so they had to leave.

Note to non-Mormon Guy thinking about moving to Utah: As far as Mormons are concerned, the ONLY reason someone would leave the LDS Church is because they simply could NOT live up to the standards or someone said something mean and they were offended. Having a half a brain, say, as a reason, and understanding that elephants did NOT exist in the Americas pre-Columbus, despite what the Book of Mormon says, just is not a valid reason.

So, while in moving here you will find that the people are nice, especially when they first meet you and you are a prospect for conversion, part of what happens to non-Mormons in Utah is inevitable and avoidable.  .........<<

http://www.nataliercollins.com/weblog/2005/03/should-non-mormon-move-to-utah.html

Hier beschreibt sie, wie sie auf den Titel ’Trapped by the Mormons’ kam und etwas über ihr Aufwachsen und Leben in Utah und ihren Kirchenaustritt:

<<<In 1922 the film world gave us one of their many takes on The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints with a funny little film called Trapped by the Mormons. This 95-minute silent movie told the story of unsuspecting young women who were lured into polygamy by the evil followers of Joseph Smith, Jr.

The film, which I’m pretty sure no one took too seriously, features a missionary with flashing eyes who hypnotized young maidens from Great Britain to drag back to his harem in the "Temple of Salt by the waters of the Great Salt Lake."

This, of course, is not my story. I just borrowed the title. I was born "Under the Covenant" (which means I was born to parents who were married in the Mormon temple) in Logan, Utah, and I’ve never lived outside the state of Utah. Nobody lured me here. According to my mother, I chose my life-and my family-in the pre-existence. Right about now they are probably wishing I had picked some other family. "How about those Gentiles down the street?"..............................
So here’s a warning to all you people who aren’t Mormon, and who might be considering opening to the door to those nice, clean cut Mormon Missionaries who look so young and wholesome: RUN! HIDE! Bolt the windows, lock the doors and don’t answer. Their eyes may not be flashing, and they may not have magical hypnotic powers, but when they talk about eternity, they are NOT kidding.<<<

http://www.nataliercollins.com/mormon-story.php

zur Nachrichtenliste
auf diesen Beitrag antworten:

nicht möglich, da das maximale Themenalter erreicht wurde.

zur Nachrichtenliste
das Themengebiet: zur Nachrichtenliste
die neuesten Beiträge in diesem Themengebiet: zur Nachrichtenliste
die neuesten Beiträge außerhalb dieses Themengebietes: zur Nachrichtenliste
zurück
www.mormonentum.de